View Single Post
Old 01-12-2006, 03:22 PM   #42
Aristeia
New Zealand
Re: Grading question advice please

Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote:
gotta get this in...

as I trained my sensei and senior yudansha watched me... when I was asked to test it was because they saw and felt what I could do and knew... to ask about your testing( when am I gonna be a black belt sensei?) shows that I'm probably more into colored belts than learning
Surely testing is part of the system because it is some way important? Otherwise it would be there. If you grant that it is important in some respect, what's wrong with asking about it? Particularly when the instructor in question has already indicated they thought you were ready and then didn't follow through. Sounds alot like something thats fallen throught he cracks and should be questioned. Or if there is an actual reason why the OP hasn't been asked to test, the question could generate a discussion that could help point him to the areas of concern.
Quote:
... I didnt prepare for months or weeks, or choreagraph a routine... I did the best I could do on the spot... this kind of testing style could be said to be a different tradition... the requirements for shodan or any grade are clearly known and are practiced all the time... the requirements up to 2nd kyu are a little lighter , and the requirements from 2nd kyu up into the dan ranks are more comprehensive... you dont fail tests... they are more a test for YOU to evaluate yourself... you wouldn't be asked to test if sensei and the yudansha didn't think your talents were at that level
I go back and forwad on whether this is a good or a bad thing. I think the key is the school has to be clear which they are doing. Only allowing people to test that are clearly there, or failing those that don't. As opposed to allowing people to test because they haven't for a while but not failing them if they're not up to the mark.

Quote:

... no coaches, aikido is not a sport
That's not really my point. My point is that the relationship between coach and student, and their interaction tends to be different than between sensei and student. My contention is that I think the coach/student relationship, by being less formal, is more productive.
Quote:
colored belts and ranks are pretty useless anyway each school is different... some use stripes on belt (stupid)
Why is that any more stupid than having coloured belts at all? Or wearing archaic japanese clothing?
Quote:
... some even do camoflage belts ( gimme a break)... the old way; you start with a white belt, and if you practice long enough and hard enough, then it will turn black and you are a serious student... keep going and it eventually fades and turns white again then you're a master...
As has been pointed out this is fantasy and was never the case. Just a convenient fairy story thats been retrofitted to the belt system.

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"