View Single Post
Old 01-12-2006, 12:24 PM   #38
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Re: Grading question advice please

Generally agree, but with a few small exceptions.

Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote:
you dont fail tests... they are more a test for YOU to evaluate yourself... you wouldn't be asked to test if sensei and the yudansha didn't think your talents were at that level...
While I agree that the sensei probably wouldn't ask you to test if you weren't capable of performing at the needed level you still need to perform. If you don't pull it out you could fail. I haven't seen many people fail in our dojo but on rare occasion it does happen (once to one of Sensei's kids).

Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote:
aikido is not a sport-- except for tomiki stuff
I would probably say that Tomiki or Shodokan aikido is a martial art that has a sporting component for those that want it.

Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote:
to make students test and test and test just to collect testing fees ( some schools do that you know) is wrong...
Playing devils advocate here a little... Is it wrong if the sensei isn't getting any of the money? There are numerous fees and expenses that go along with running a school. Perhaps the parent organization requires a sizable yearly affiliation fee. Maybe the rent/payment/taxes/utilities/maintenance/etc. on the building is expensive. Testing fees are another way to generate income and like it or not as students we are customers and the expenses of running a business get passed on to the customers.

Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote:
the old way; you start with a white belt, and if you practice long enough and hard enough, then it will turn black and you are a serious student... keep going and it eventually fades and turns white again then you're a master...
This has been shown to be myth.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."