View Single Post
Old 01-06-2006, 03:53 AM   #16
sullivanw
Dojo: Portland Aikikai
United_States
Re: Traditional Aikido vs Nihon Goshin

Another FWIW, I studied Nihon Goshin intensely for about a year and a half, then moved a few times and have been studying Aikikai for the past... maybe two years.

I remember that the techniques were a lot harder on the joints and their presentation was very different from what I am studying now. Also, we did some kind of self-defense drill almost every class; we defended against a line of attackers or a group, with random weapons and any attack allowed. The latter difference could very well be due to my former Sensei.

Although I probably lack the experience in both... styles, whatever... to really compare them, I have described Nihon Goshin as being 'more jiu-jitsuish' to some friends at my current dojo. But it did seem like the 'magic', the aiki, was there.

Ledyard Sensei certainly has the experience to make a sound evaluation, so I'm going to keep the question open for myself.

What I can say is that my former Sensei gave me a love of "aikido", and I continue to train and intend to until old age or injury forces me to stop. Since you have chosen a traditional style, I recommend visiting the Nihon Goshin dojo when you can. The different perspectives will definitely add depth to your aikido.

Good luck, and have fun!

BTW, nice vids - good find!

Last edited by sullivanw : 01-06-2006 at 04:06 AM. Reason: addendum