View Single Post
Old 10-12-2001, 09:43 AM   #20
Young-In Park
Quote:
Originally posted by PeterR

Well that's never happened but if you know so much better why do you need a teacher.

There is a time and place for free-style. If a sensei asks the people to work on a particular technique - that is what you should do. Anything else is just simple disruption and arrogance.
Well, it has happened to me before. And I never said I didn't need a teacher.

"[i] should do"? Disruptive? Arrogant? I will do what the sensei asks me to do. I won't be disruptive in class. I won't be arrogant.

YoungIn Park
Aikido's Bart Simpson?

PS. During an audio interview conducted by journalist Alex Ben Block, Bruce Lee said:

Most martial arts instructors are so doggone stubborn, you know? I mean their attitude is "Well, two hundred years ago it was taught like this, therefore it should be continued to be taught like this." To maintain that type of attitude - I mean, you've had it! You will still be back in [that time capsule]. You will never grow, because learning is a discovering thing. It's a constant process of discovery. Whereas, if we follow the old method, it is simply a continuous repetition of what was being handed down several hundred years ago.

Lee even had devised a mock tombstone that sat upon his office desk and reveal to visitors his attitude toward those who blindly follow the classical traditions of the past instead of evolving with the martial advancements of the present. The inscription read:

In memory of a once fluid man crammed and distorted by the classical mess.

("The Warrior Within" by John Little)

Lee also said in 1963:

I'd like to inform the public that gung fu cannot be mastered in just "three easy lessons." Intelligent thinking and hard work are required.

("The Tao of Gung Fu" by Bruce Lee)