View Single Post
Old 12-31-2005, 08:40 PM   #37
Ed Shockley
Dojo: aikikai of Philadelphia
United_States
Re: High level power abuse

Not looking to start an argument but I do disagree with Mary's attitude toward power. We each are completely free to make our own choices and in that spirit I choose to respect the Japanese practice of respecting the dojo and Sensei. I find it creates greater openness in me to accept instruction. It's a bit like when we attend a Shihan seminar and many students seem to be listening more intently, trying more pointedly. Again, this is only a personal choice but I do believe that it reflects the culture out of which the art of Aikido grows. A wise friend and fellow former athlete explained it to me this way when I encountered troubling behavior from an instructor, "You can respect the office and overlook the fault of the man." Without that separation one is likely to end up a Ronin because most men/women have clay feet and the closeness of dojo life guarantees that they will be exposed. Finally, by respecting the office and forgiving the officer then I may receive the same largess when I inevitably stumble.