View Single Post
Old 12-29-2005, 08:46 AM   #25
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
Re: High level power abuse

[quote]wow

Mary, with respect to your rank, if you can not see the abuse of power here I don't know what to say. It would not matter if it was a high level female in the power position it would still be very wrong. Martial Arts to me is not just training, the dojo is my home the people there are part of my family it is a way of life that I would miss very much. I guess some dojos are not like that, which makes even more a reason to find a good resolution and stay.

Hi Frank:
I know exactly what you are talking about.

And becasue I have been around for a while I have seen a bit.

We used to belong to an organization where "power" was taken and given. I never bought into it. While I admired the Sensei's Aikido I could never really see why I should act deferential because other people did. I am training to become strong and compassionate.

I was respectful and I appreciated his Aikido. His way of being off the mat was not something I aspired to become.

Nor do I expect him to be anything other than he is....a human being. (FLawed just like we all are.)

I am also very glad that we are now an independent organization that is not interested in the illusion of giving and taking of power.

Mary