Thread: Defining Kokyu
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2005, 09:36 AM   #187
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Defining Kokyu

Quote:
Robert John wrote:
you done a lot of experimentation with pushups? Most of the tanren, body work has to do with training the lower body. But I've been experimenting with training the upper body in a similar manner as well. I can do one set of about 15 pushups using maximum intention (especially around the back of the knees/spine/upper and lower center area) that will totally tax me out (I can push out about 60-70 meaningless ones btw, just as a yardstick). Breath work is also involved of course, but I've still got a nagging concern that pushing against the ground will feed some "habit" into the muscles and make it more prone to that "rebound" effect.
Of course I try not "pushing" the ground when I do the pushup, but still... ^^;
Hi Rob:

Pushups using the paths are fairly common, but also there was a lot of stuff done with the feet propped up on say the third step of a staircase and the hands down on the floor. Same idea ... running a path from the ground to your center (not to your shoulders). Anytime you move, whether with the hands or the legs, there is a path from ground to center.

Dan and you both seem to use one of the old Shaolin bases for training, which probably points to something in DR. This goes back to the discussion of what Ueshiba used. What I'm beginning to suspect is that there is still more support for the idea that Ueshiba knew *something* of the Shaolin methods of training nei-jing, but he may have picked up a new way to do it via a connection in Omoto-Kyo. It would explain a lot of things, if it's true. Functionally, comparing a purported "harder" style of training (like I'm suggesting in DR) and a "softer" style of training (in the proposed scenario with Ueshiba), it could still be argued which way is the best. I.e., if you manipulate paths and you surround it with 'hard' training and if you manipulate paths surrounded by 'soft' training, which way is best? As you see, it can become moot.

FWIW

Mike