Devon Natario

Dojo: Northwest Jujitsu/Coeur D'Alene, ID
United_States
Re: Meditation ... Advice appreciated.

Quote:
Amanda Fear wrote:
I recently talked to a friend about meditation and why I prefer not to
practice it. Here's why:

When I finally 'focus' and clear my mind, there is a ringing sound, like I can hear sound waves almost, I don't know how else to describe it. It hurts my ears a little and I've tried ignoring it, just to get a headache. I can still hear what is going on around me, though my room is quiet I can hear into the next room, and what they have on TV too. Uhm, it wavers in and out, I feel really tuned into everything around me for a couple seconds then it goes silent and I hear nothing, then it starts again.

What is the ringing noise?
Am I doing this wrong or am I a weirdo?
Does this happen to anyone else?
Should I get someone to help me with it, because I've only done this on my own.

Also, my friend practices meditation in movement... uhm moving meditation, it is what it sounds like. Hard to explain, does anyone else know what it is? (I understand b/c he explained to me already but Im just curious if others do this too or know of it being done)

Also, what exactly is the purpose of meditation? I've heard a couple explanations but I'd like to hear more.
I've gotten that ring before too plenty of times, but usually when I take a hearing test, or when it is very quiet around.

Mine is a low pitch sound though, not high pitch, but it's loud enough that it bothers me.

I asked the doctors once what it was from and they told me it was from my ears being so used to noises that we hear this ring or noise when it is too quiet.

Who knows if they are full of it?? It kind of makes sense though.

Devon Natario
Instructor
Northwest Jujitsu