View Single Post
Old 12-17-2005, 07:41 PM   #11
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido
Re: Training at Hombu - is it worth it?

Quote:
Joshua Reyer wrote:
Rob - Good point about ukemi and the crowded mat. As for technique vs. power, at this point focusing on technique would be good for me. And as you know there are a number of places to develop inner power.

Mr. Goldsbury, thanks for your response, I was hoping you'd reply. I'm all too aware of Tokyo/Osaka, Kanto/Kansai rivalries, so no worries on that account. You mention other good places to train, besides Honbu. Could you give some examples? I've poured through pages upon pages of dojo websites via Aikikai's dojo search, but I really need some way to pare it all down.

Bryan, thanks for the input. Food for thought. (Chew, chew.)

The others know more about what's good in Japan than I do, but you may want to look at the Suginami Aikikai in Suginami-ku with Hiroshi Kato 8th dan. Their website with directions, fees,training times,etc. is at this link.
http://kawatok-web.hp.infoseek.co.jp/aikido/

Kato Sensei is a very nice person with a relaxed training style. Some of his students have been with him for decades but they are welcoming to newcomers. They do regular group events like hiking,outings, and special trainings. Some people really like it. He is my Sensei and I have had the best experience with him than anyone I have known so far.
Best,

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."