View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 02:32 PM   #23
bratzo_barrena
Dojo: Aikido Goshin Dojo
United_States
Re: Ukemi vs. Protecting your attacker

Adam,

let me try to explain myself. Consider English is not my native language, ok. I'll do my best.

you quote me here:
"... you will certainly cause a lot of harm. It's unavoidable, considering you perform the technique properly"

But I said is unavoidable to harm A PERSON WHO DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO TAKE UKEMI OR WHO IS NOT SENSITIVE ENOUGH TO ADJUST HIS/HER BODY. In taht case is unavoidable.
So, If you're going to quote me, do it fairly, and DO NOT MANIPULATE THE CONTEXT.

You asked me: "So do you disagree that it is possible to perform a technique properly on an untrained uke without causing (unavoidable) harm?"

Yes, if we consider in PROPER TECHNIQUE the spped, angles, body movements, etc, necessary to make it effective.

then you tell me, Quote:
"I have to do it all the time. It's called "teaching."" (refering to performing a technique on a new, non-ukemi trained, non-sensitive-enough-to adapt uke)
Of course, when you teach (as I said before, but seems you distort my statements to make them invalid) to such an uke, you as teacher are careful, and adjust your technique so you don't harm him/her, which is the way should be. If he/she cant take ukemi, you explain and give him/her time to adjust. We agree 100% on that.
But a technique properly done (outside extrictly teaching purposes) DO NOT IMPLY THAT ONE HAVE TO WAIT FOR ATTACKER TO ADJUST, THUS A PERSON WHO DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO TAKE UKEMI OR WHO IS NOT SENSITIVE ENOUGH TO ADJUST HIS/HER BODY, IS GOING TO BE HURT, DEFINATELY.

Bratzo Barrena