View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 10:39 PM   #20
Adman

United_States
Re: Ukemi vs. Protecting your attacker

Well, I almost responded with something very incoherent, until I decided to make sure I read all the posts. Some nice replies by Mary, Tarik, Ron, etc... I particularly like Ron's quote:
Quote:
The better the ukemi (breakfalls, rolls, attacks, movement, ability to absorb power) the more opportunity shite has to explore the power of the waza in question.
But then again:
Quote:
It's a mith that an Aikidoka can perform a technique on someone who doesn't know how to take ukemi and cause no harm on the attacker.
In my experience, I'd have to disagree. At least in the dojo setting. Although, it can be satisfying (I suppose ) to make someone go splat ... when that is the ultimate goal of the technique ... then, well ... that's when things can go wrong.
Quote:
Having said that, if you perform a technique on someone with no training in ukemi at all, or not sensitive enough to movement, so he/she can adjust his/her body, you will certainly cause a lot of harm. It's unavoidable, considering you perform the technique properly and don't loose the proper form just to avoid injuring the attacker (which in itself is a mistake).

That sounds a tad bit absolute to me. There are many "proper" ways to perform a technique without hurting the attacker. And that last part between the parenthesis -- what exactly do you mean by that?

thanks,
Adam