View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 10:19 PM   #22
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Re: Poll: How helpful are verbal instructions in learning aikido for you?

Quote:
David Knowlton wrote:
Ted,

Thanks for answering. I almost agree completely.

I spent hours thinking about problems in judo during the long winters outside Chicago when I was studying it in high school. I thought visually, and I 'felt' my body doing technique and failing in technique - my 'analysis' was really intuitive meditation, not if-then logical reasoning.

I don't think Chinese inquiries into nature are a failure. Their paradigm allows them to solve problems that western science can not. I practice Chi Kung to heal a very serious injury, that my local physician 'can't see'. I am a trained scientist, but feel that not all inquiries are best done with the analytical mind.

Give Caesar his due, in my opinion. Please share your thoughts. This is an area I've been applying myself to for a few years, and I'm probably wrong, or treading well worn paths.

Dave
From Connections Vol III Distant Voices by James Burke

"...And yet explosive change, that kind we in the west went through when we got hold of what China had invented, didn't happen here (China). And to explain why I'm going to have to hit you with a bit more inscrutable Chinese Philosophy. You see, the Chinese believed that the universe was filled with Shen. A spirit that was in everything and all you could do was contemplate it.

Trees, mountains, birds, rivers were all one. And so you couldn't reproduce a model of the bit of the universe and examine it because you couldn't fill it with Shen.

Now in the Christian West, we recognized that the universe was filled with rational bits and pieces by a rational God. And if you were a rational human being, you could make a model of a bit of the universe. And then take it apart to see how it worked. And use what you learned..."

Other reasons Burke cited for lack of Chinese research was social bureaucracy and class stratification to stifle individual incentive.

I do feel the Chinese model failed them. Because of it, the country stayed at the same technological level, while other nations advanced. Finally they lost political control over their country because of military advances. Only recently have they begun to catch up with the rest of the world.

There are different ways to approach a problem, whether it's healing an injury or learning aikido. Sometimes the process of solving the problem gives a different effect. You cannot assume that if there is a problem, there must be only one solution.

Last edited by tedehara : 12-06-2005 at 10:22 PM.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You