Old 12-06-2005, 07:53 AM   #15
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States
Re: Ukemi vs. Protecting your attacker

Quote:
John Matsushima wrote:
Hello everyone,
I have heard discussion of the importance of good ukemi to protect yourself. Some people say that good ukemi is to sort of "dive into it" to get ahead of the technique. I have also heard some people complain that X person's ukemi is terrible, and therefore the technique can't be done right.
All are true in the correct context. Well.. except _perhaps_ the getting ahead part.

To protect oneself. Yes, always, especially from beginner's whom have no idea of how to perform the technique correctly. It also instructs them, when done properly.

To get ahead of the technique. I have much feeling about this one. I think you should be WITH the technique, not ahead. If you have sente, you can make the decisions to stay with the technique or change it.

X's ukemi is terrible. So what? Except that it might prevent you from practicing the requested technique, you should still be able to practice your aikido (that should still work). Unless it is your place to correct their ukemi.

Quote:
John Matsushima wrote:
If Aikido techniques are to protect from harm the nage as well as uke, why does one need such good ukemi?
My feeling is that good ukemi is about 2 things;

1) self-protection
2) deeper study
3) instruction

Yeah, I said 2, didn't I?

Quote:
John Matsushima wrote:
My main question is, what do you think are ways that techniques can be executed with someone that has no ukemi ability without harm?
Harm is a choice you make as nage/tori/shite. You can practice techniques that take your partner's balance and then you can 'catch' them and protect them from serious injury if you so choose. You make the choice in every technique; it's certainly a part of the training contract.

Tarik

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."