View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 09:22 AM   #6
mjhacker

Dojo: Renshinkan
United_States
Re: Kanji in language articles

Quote:
Marc Kupper wrote:
I've been finding the articles interesting but one thing I miss are the kanji. It's frustrating when an article says something like "there are two different kanji for tori/dori," "there are two different kanji for kime," etc. but the actual kanji are not shown.
I'm fine with adding the kanji, but it's up to the individual to do the necessary tweaks to their systems in order to read the characters. Jun's kanji charts are always there, but for me to convert everything to graphics for inclusion in the article is a bit much. If I'm going to do it, I'll do it in native Japanese encoding.

Additionally, most of these kanji are not "word-pictures" in the sense that looking at them will actually impart any meaning to the western eye. If you don't understand the characters, you won't get much out of them. That said, the only reason I can think of is to look further into them or, perhaps, to verify what I've said is true. You should be able to look this stuff up without me posting the kanji, actually.

Jun? Thoughts?

Last edited by mjhacker : 12-02-2005 at 09:24 AM.