View Single Post
Old 12-01-2005, 11:00 PM   #13
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia
Re: Aikido and kicks

Hello B. Barrena,

It is a good idea to learn to apply aikido or aiki-principles on non-traditional scenarios or to explore it outside its conventional curriculum. However, as far as my dojo is concern, we ran into some obstacles.

1) Among the core students that are in our dojo, non are trained kickers. We do learn to defend against kicks, but as non of us are extremely good kickers hence our nage are not able to give us the full range of kicking motion to explore with.

2) From our limited knowledge of how to handle kicks, we conclude that the most efficient method of dealing with kicks is the same as how we deal with hands attacks. I.e., no fancy stuff; move out of its trajectory, apply atemi to distract then followed by kuzushi (balance breaking). Once you get him down, you can then move on to the typical osae (immobilization) finish, if you so desire.

2) Not many of our students are comfortable with taking ukemi from kicks, at least not from full fighting speed, not since we had a TKD player vs our adjutant sensei fiasco. The TKD guy was sparring with our people and my adjutant sensei duck and apply what looks like sukui nage and sent the TKD guy back out with a limp. I attributed this to the inept ability of the TKD guy to take proper ukemi. After that, most of the students are afraid to kick and ukemi from that height.

My point is, although in theory it is good to practice how to deal with kicks, in a typical aikido dojo there are just not too many trained kickers to train with; good kickers with good ukemi skill are hard to find asset (at least in my dojo).

As for me, I am a terrible kicker, mae geri is my only type of kick which has any usefulness in it. I personally like to have two feet for balance as oppose to one. Should I want a longer striking range or harder strike, I prefer to use my trusted good friend, the Jo.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.