View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 09:40 AM   #47
MM
United_States
Re: Article: On the Interdependent Nature of Tactics and Strategies by "The Grindstone"

Quote:
David Valadez wrote:
However, because of that, the more trained we are, the more often we take the context of the role for granted. Thus, we do not see how the "naturalness" of the role is dependent upon the context in which it is being played.
I cut out a bunch just because I agree and there wasn't anything I could add. Here, I just wanted to add that when the above happens in a non-purposeful manner, it's usually because we get lazy in our training. When it happens in a purposeful manner, I think it's because one is either afraid to change or one is bolstering one's ego.

Quote:
David Valadez wrote:
Thus, the training paradigm you laid out functions very well when the roles are taken as "natural" (i.e. when the supporting context is adopting without question). However, when the context is not taken as natural, but seen as designed (which it is), which often comes out for all of us whenever we train with beginners (folks less engrained in the training culture), the whole paradigm falls apart (e.g. smoothness goes out the window, etc.). For example, when the beginner does not look for openings and reversals, but instead seeks to create openings, you see even advanced training partners have their technique go right out the window.
Yes, true. Even for not so advanced partners. I can't count the times that a green to brown belt has said, "Hey, this isn't working the way it's supposed to" when working with a beginner." lol. And the answer is usually, "of course it isn't". A beginner hasn't learned the training paradigm that we use, so naturally, they aren't going to do what others do and the techniques aren't going to look smooth.

Quote:
David Valadez wrote:
This happens to them because the context that is supporting the role they are playing is no longer present. Hence, a "real" you (i.e. the you that exists outside of design, context, and assumption) comes out. At such a moment, we see ourselves not blending, not moving, not capitalizing on the target creation tactics of the beginning training partner, etc.
LOL, how very true. And point of fact, I still find myself not blending, not moving, etc even when doing slow randori. (Randori defined as any free attack - nothing predetermined or defined). And more often than not, smoothness goes right out the window. But, I do find that I am getting better as my training progresses.

Mark