Old 11-26-2005, 04:25 AM   #14
Mat Hill
Dojo: Kaminari Shooto Dojo
England
Re: Is there more?

Thank you for your answer.
Quote:
Ted Ehara wrote:
If all you've seen are aikido classes then yes, it could seem like there is little discussion of general principles. Yet in ki development classes, there is usually a general principle laid out as the theme for the class.
I've been in ki development classes too, both in Ki Society schools and classes with a heavy emphasis on ki development in my sensei's school in the UK and aikikai schools in Tokyo.

In relation to this thread, I'm not talking about principles with an example of how the principle works in isolation; eg, unbendable arm, but how it works in relation to a live resisting uke to help you understand how and when to flow and blend as a nage. If that is what you are talking about too we're on the same page.

But the fact remains that the ki development classes I have attended dealt with principles unrelated to the physical side of aiki.

Without willing to get too far from the subject at hand and get into ki development, there are more physical aspects of aiki as a martial art.

Quote:
Although most people have heard of the four basic principles, there is also the 15 - 5 Principles (15 X 5 = 60 various principles). This is not counting things like the 5 Vows, 21 Ki Sayings or 10 Precepts of Spiritual Training. If the Ki Society doesn't talk about general principles, then why do they have all these lists?
Thank you again, I wasn't actually aware there were so many! And in know way was I implying that the Ki Society doesn't talk about general principles, but again I was relating to the general principles that can be gained by practising kihon and vice versa in relation to overcoming an attacker (ie learning from another martial art's experience).

Now, I know that aiki aims to harmonize, but I believe this is taken too literally, and too much at face value. I believe aiki is knowing when and how to harmonize. If somebody wants to take my head off, I do not want to completely harmonize with him, because that would mean acquiescing to his will, and I'd like to keep my head thank you very much!

I want to use the universal ki, the universal energy at my disposal to persuade him that there other ways to resolve the problem and dissipate his desire to harm me; to introduce him to the immovable object/immovable force. If that takes his @*+"# head off, that's his problem: it's just my job to harmonize with the universe! OK so I'm being flippant, but I hope you can see where I'm going with this.

At first maai is a mental construct (psychological space, leading etc), but when someone is intent on running over you like a steamroller, if you are not in control of your space it will develop into a very physical construct and you will lose physically! That is where the knowledge of the kihon and its direct reltionship with physical resistance and opposition is important.

How many exercises do you do to find and work from your centre when you are in a bad position, eg, squished under someone heavier than you who's trying to whack a figure four/arm-bar on you? I'll give you clue... it's not the tanden!