View Single Post
Old 11-23-2005, 03:05 PM   #39
MM
United_States
Re: Article: On the Interdependent Nature of Tactics and Strategies by "The Grindston

Quote:
David Valadez wrote:
For those that like to clearly separate "real fighting" from Budo - not seeing it as I described above and as you are understanding it yourself - the questions still remain: How can we do that? Why should we do that? Do we lose anything by doing that?
Well, yeah, I do think that you can separate the two. But then I compare it to separating the physical study of Aikido to the physical & spiritual study of Aikido. One can get very good at Aikido just by being understanding the purely physical side of Aikido. And one can get very good by understanding the physical & spiritual side of Aikido. Let me try this example. I hope that you've heard Fleetwood Mac sing The Chain. Back when they first recorded it, they were going through some tough times. Listening to that song, you can almost feel them pouring their soul into it. A few years ago, they re-recorded the song. While the mechanics are there, the beat is there, the words are there, it's a rather lifeless song. So, technically, they were good at playing the song. But, they did not get close to how good they were at the original.

Or take someone who knows how to play an instrument by rote. Sure, they can become good at it. Sure, they can play a blues song, but bring someone along who can play as good but with some soul/spirit into it and it is a whole new level.

This doesn't invalidate the purely physical aspect of learning. I think we all hit this type of learning. I think there are some very good and competent people out there who are a genius at the physical learning. I just think some go beyond it with the spiritual aspect. But that's me. And that's how I view separating the two. The UFC, UMA, etc, to me, are the purely physical aspect and thus can be separated from Budo training.

How do we do it? Sparring, competing, contests for prizes.

Why should we do it? Because some people want to do that. It's why we have sports and competitions, etc. It's just another venue.

Do we lose anything by doing that? No, I don't believe we do. If you're in it for "real fighting", then you train for it and maybe somewhere along the road, you start picking up Budo. If not, you're still happy. If you train Budo, maybe somewhere along the road you pick up "real fighting". If not, you're still happy. But, I see it as an individual choice and even that can change over time. If someone was 18 and took Karate and Gracie and was in the UFC, they would almost have to learn something. When they're 40 and switch to Aikido (for whatever reason), they have a background in something which they can apply to Aikido. Nothing really lost. At least IMO.

Mark