View Single Post
Old 11-23-2005, 11:16 AM   #36
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
Re: Article: On the Interdependent Nature of Tactics and Strategies by "The Grindstone"

Hi Mark,

Thanks for posting. If I could sum up what you are saying, I would agree that martial victory (i.e. the defeating of another human being martially) is not necessary for us to understand that we can be training for real fighting. For those that like to clearly separate "real fighting" from Budo - not seeing it as I described above and as you are understanding it yourself - the questions still remain: How can we do that? Why should we do that? Do we lose anything by doing that?

Another way of looking at this is to say that Budo is about victory over the self and/OR that Budo is not about fighting for victory over another (as you say, defeat does not ruin or void the training). Again, this would not mean then that I can separate the means for achieving victory over the self from the means of achieving victory over another. This is merely a causal matter - which way I go in the practice/logic. In Budo we go from studying victory over another to gaining victory over the self - we do not go (as I understand it) from victory over the self to victory over another. In my experience, the latter is impossible (though this is how many folks in Aikido tend to practice today). In Budo, I use the latter type of training (i.e. studying victory over another) to discover how I have been defeated by my (small) self nearly the whole of my life.

thanks,
dmv

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.