View Single Post
Old 11-23-2005, 02:35 AM   #14
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Re: Article: Clarity and Self-Delusion in One's Training by George S. Ledyard

These forum are for discussion, not someplace to jump all over someone who has an honest opinion or comment. The fact that people defended this article shows it touched a common viewpoint, but that is not the only point of view available.

There were several examples in the article that I felt were irrelevant to my personal situation. There were additional examples that seemed to me could be done a different way. The fact that the article encouraged people to define their aikido goals is admirable.

However this is not a Win-Win situation. Most people will not become martial arts legends. The majority of US students will not even get a black belt. Devoting seven to five days per week for years of training is a luxury few will have. Moving to Japan or another area to study Aikido is even more remote for most of us.

Perhaps the only thing we can do is to develop ourselves during the short time we have for training. We can do that within one day or forty+ years of training. We can also encourage others to develop themselves. Even though individuals will turn out differently, they will be better people for it. Perhaps that was the idea all along.

Last edited by tedehara : 11-23-2005 at 02:50 AM.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You