View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 01:30 PM   #7
Dojo: Ronin
Circle Re: Article: Clarity and Self-Delusion in One's Training by George S. Ledyard

George S. Ledyard wrote:
Where I have been is where I have always been. On the mat five to seven days a week for the seventeen years my dojo has been open.

I stand by my statement that simply memorizing the physical mechanics for me is *not* Aikido. Certainly *it is* a significant and essential *part* of the study of Aikido, but me...well I'm greedy. I want it all.

All the patterns I have talked about I see in potential with my own students and I try as best I can to head them in a better direction. If you think I am interested in just kicking ass then you have absolutely no idea what I do in my Aikido or what I teach. Reaching that conclusion from what I read means you have no idea what I was getting at.Or perhaps what I wrote pushes some buttons... it was certainly designed to do that.

Yes I was fully aware that my post would likely have that "effect" on you but after giving it some (careful) thought and consideration, I decided to post my message. Beep! Beep! [Hey! That button lights up when it's pressed! Co-ol!]

I am indeed bit lost in your sentence "Reaching that conclusion from what I read.." Should "read" actually have been "wrote" or did you mean what you "read" in *my* message? So yes, at that point I do indeed "have no idea what" you were "getting at".

Should you think that this all represents some aberrant thinking on my part, I can assure you that when you get a group of senior folks together and they talk about Aikido this type of conversation comes up all the time. I simply wanted to throw it out for wider dissemination.

Exactly! And I am disseminating it. I am more often than I care(d) to be a believer that the word "Senior" is all too often over-rated. Neither age nor time or even experience(s) is a guarantee of superior quality or any quality at all, other than garbage'.

As for making the leap that I am somehow treating the Hawaiian people / culture disrepectfully... well, please...

As one of the few free true Native Hawaiians I consider it my right (and duty) to decide who and what offends me and my ancestors.

All sorts of words have come into English usage from other languages, Yiddish being the most notable. When I call someone a putz I am in no way disrepecting the Jewish people, simply the fellow to whom I am directing the term.
A little education can go a long way. Yiddish is *not* Jewish. Yiddish is *in fact* a mixture of Hebrew, German and a hodgepodge of other words and phrases from other (European) languages. Hebrew is the Jewish language, not Yiddish, Mr. Ledyard. Peace, Justice & Love.

-Robert A. Fortune