View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 11:30 AM   #17
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South (formerly Emory Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Article: On the Interdependent Nature of Tactics and Strategies by "The Grindstone"

Fighters are individuals that have the combination of physical ability, mental ability and training to make them superior physical specimens for combat.

Budoka are individuals that have the desire to enhance their lives through focus and training. In martial arts, focus and training is militaristic so we use fighting science to hone our skills and our attitude.

In some cases, these two definitions will overlap to identify a group of individuals that possess both the physical prowess of a fighter and the refinement that comes from intraspection. These are our champions. As children we knew them as firemen, policemen, Superman, Spiderman, etc. As adults, we know them as (insert shihan here).

I don't mix my oil and vinegar, and I don't confuse those students that are fighters with those students that are budoka; it's a pleasant suprise when a champion shows up.

The question David brings to the table is can aikido resist the degradation of martial arts as we (as a society) continue to reduce the effort that is required to participate. A friend of mine is a chef and once explained the purpose of a reduction as this, "A reduction removes water from the sauce. Through concentration, the sauce's flavor will be strengthened and therefore create a more flavorful taste when eaten. But, if the sauce is reduced too much it will burn and become inedible."