View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 10:24 AM   #16
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
Re: Article: On the Interdependent Nature of Tactics and Strategies by "The Grindstone"

Kevin,

It is interesting that you mention Yoga. In my opinion, in a way, Yoga is going through a similar process of redefinition. In particular, Yoga, like Budo/Aikido, is being re-understood according to Modern systems of meaning and practice. This is unfortunate because both of these practices would otherwise be quite capable of providing us Moderns with an alternate way of understanding the world -- one outside of Fear and Materialism, for example.

In Yoga today, like in Aikido, we see a focusing in on the forms -- having all other aspects of the practice fall to the wayside. In a way, Modern cultures that are now practicing Yoga are really doing nothing more than stretching -- calling that "Yoga." Can we not say the same thing in regards to Aikido? Do we not just do these play fights and call them "Budo"?

As the "yogi" of today has for the most part abandoned all of the other practices that gave context and support, and thus viability, to the Asanas (the postures), have we not as aikidoka, for the most part, also abandoned those practices that give our forms context, support, and viability? I would say, "Yes, we have." When we leave out things, like the things you see being practiced in the article, I believe our understanding of Irimi Nage (for example) is going to be way different than if we put those things back into our practice. Moreover, I suggest that as one's overall practice would be incomplete without such training aspects, one understanding of Irimi Nage would also be incomplete.

It is interesting that Yoga has gone from the practice that the Buddha said was too extreme to the practice we can now do to relax at the end of the day and/or to feel good in the morning, or to have our body become more appealing in today's culture. There is a "softening up" up of Yoga that has it now becoming the very thing it was supposed to be a remedy for. Do we not see the same exact process happening in Aikido? I believe we do, and I believe it goes hand in hand with the abandoning of Aikido's supporting training regiments (those universal to any martial science) and the focusing in on Aikido's own Asanas -- its Kihon Waza.

Please, Kevin, if you got a spare moment, I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance,
david

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.