View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 12:10 AM   #2
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom
Re: Article: Clarity and Self-Delusion in One's Training by George S. Ledyard

Quote:
Years ago there was a fellow at another dojo at which I taught regularly. The fellow had been at he school since its inception, had managed to get his Shodan by virtue of the fact that he had been at the dojo so long. But when it really came down to it, he didn't really train. He was always "injured", had a "job related conflict", a "class" that he was taking, always some reason he couldn't make it to class that day. I'd come to do a weekend seminar and he'd show up for the potluck but not be able to make any of the actual classes because of .... His teacher and I, after many years of observing this pattern, started to joke that this fellow had been pretending to do Aikido longer than anyone else we knew.
A different slant:
When I was in Japan I trained in a university dojo (exchange student) and I remember one female student who always came to watch but rarely, if ever, trained. I assumed she must be the girlfriend of one of the other members or something but one day, I asked about her. Apparently, she used to train but got injured as a first year. She was now a fourth year and had attended almost every class, watching. Why? Because she was a member of the club. She always seemed quite jovial about it and she did join in a few times but was very careful. Once you join the club, you are a member and that's it, and if you don't have class, you have to turn up for training.