View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 11:24 AM   #83
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Rank-Aikido (pun intended)

And much for me to think about with the response! I no longer teach much, but you never know when you might get called on (as happened rather unexpectedly the other night). I did see the beginning of the 'issue', and made sure to address it to the class as a whole before the 'slamming' occured. I guess I figured, once warned, if you chose to ignore it, then you've stepped up. I knew quite well the shite could handle that particular problem. But I also have to wonder just how 'rank' it was for me to let that continue. I think now I would follow your suggestion...as the teacher, take it upon myself to demonstrate the reason. I wonder though...since the main reason for the negative reactions of uke were the fact that shite was female, would uke make the connection between my subsequent demonstration, and his own machismo/chauvenism, etc.?

To put it more bluntly, he was convinced that no tiny woman could submit him. How does my showing my own ability to solve the puzzle teach him that women can solve the puzzle as well (albeit in this case, somewhat forcefully)?

Best,
Ron

Last edited by Ron Tisdale : 11-18-2005 at 11:28 AM.

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)