Thread: Irimi vs Tenkan
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 06:05 PM   #18
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom
Re: Irimi vs Tenkan

Jun's explanation of irimi (enter) and tenkan (turn), and omote (front) and ura (rear) are on the mark. However, the way I like to think of it is:

Irimi reverses uke's attack/energy/ki back towards him.
Tenkan carries uke's attack/energy/ki away from him.
In this sense, it does not matter if you are 'located' in omote or ura or 'moving' in irimi or 'tenkan'. As David points out, there is irimi in tenkan and tenkan in irimi.

Both irimi and tenkan can result in throws, of course, but most people I see finish with an irimi movement even when doing tenkan (by my definition above).

Davids yin/yang comparison is right on the mark, but does not get at my original post that gestures that we need more training in irimi than tenkan. For me, as I stated, what we need is a method to train. Irimi is what we want, and sometimes we need a bit of tenkan to get us there. Tenkan is what happens when irimi fails so to train exclusively in tenkan (like, we usually separate them and do two irimi and two tenkan techniques when training - in Aikikai) is not sensible. What we need is a method that brings the two together, forcing them to interplay in such a way that students can better understand and therefore, learn faster. The aim is to do irimi, and tenkan is a tool to help us get there.

As for David's last post - I think I'll have to read it again to make better sense of it

Last edited by Rupert Atkinson : 11-16-2005 at 06:11 PM.