View Single Post
Old 09-28-2001, 12:05 PM   #3
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Hi Andrew,
maybe I've trained with you at some point - I was down in Galway this year training with Henry Kono and I was there last year training with Jaff Raji.

I've been teaching for a year now, and have found it quite a steep learning curve. I find people tend to talk alot when they are bored, don't feel they have anything new to learn from the technique, or don't understand what they are supposed to be doing. You can either:

- get everyone to change partners, but do the same technique
- get them attackers to put more vigour into the attack (recently I encouraged ukes to attack as soon as they could after being thrown).
- stop the class and explain the technique in a different way, or do a different attack type/slight variation.

- stop the class & do something else (not recommended unless they are really fed up with that technique)

Also, people learn bad habits from each other so if the class is decaying into a chat session you have to nip it in the bud.

As far as saying, "we used to do it like this...etc". Explain WHY one way is better than another, or why your group does it in a particular way (I often think it related to how each group 'simulates' the attack. Sometimes things are different 'cos they work better in different situations or have different aims. If they carry on, ask why they choose to train at your class rather than their previous senseis! (though usually they really are trying to justify having to change their own technique)

I'm quite lucky in having a beginning class; even though many have done ju-jitsu before, they don't complain as much about stylistic differences as I've seen in most classes!

Ian