Thread: Irimi vs Tenkan
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 08:29 AM   #8
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
Re: Irimi vs Tenkan

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote:
There is never irimi tenkan. Logically this is to launch an attack...and then turn and retreat. This makes no sense to me aikidowise. Once its on it has to be finished.

Cheers

D
For me, Irimi and tenkan are two paths that allow me to use uke's motion to apply kuzushi. In an ideal world, I would anticipate uke and be ahead of his movement at all times, but I aint that good. Ultimately irimi or tenkan depends on the timing of my interaction, the direction I take is not predetermined, it is governed by the relationship of our movement, speed and direction. Thus it is feasible that I start to do irimi but find I'm late and have to tenkan.

I would never fix a paradigm in aikido, I think it is important to train in all aspects so that eventually, my interaction is always the right one, not the predetermined one.

With regards to making small tenkan movements over large ones, that only comes with practice. I think it' s much better to start with as big a motion as you can, over time you will naturally make it smaller as your ability develops. But if you start small it's not always easy to make it bigger, and that could be a problem if I didn't get it right.

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"