Old 11-11-2005, 11:41 PM   #63
Devon Natario

Dojo: Northwest Jujitsu/Coeur D'Alene, ID
United_States
Re: Rank-Aikido (pun intended)

Quote:
John Boswell wrote:
So let me get this straight:

Aikido is a martial art... minus the martial aspect of it, it's great for "older" people because it is "soft", it's false training, you no longer practice aikido... but you come here to an Aikido Forum and tell us these things and then ask us to NOT be offended?

Guess what? I'm offended you think anyone here stupid enough to listen to all that and NOT be offended!

Go re-read your post, insert your martial art in place of aikido and tell me how you would react.
The problem here John is I am a Mixed Martial Artist. I have trained in Tae Kwon Do (with Mr. Lee), Isshin Ryu Karate (with Joseph Barnes), Isshin Shorin Go Ryu (with Joseph Barnes), Aikido (with Thomas Collins and Chris Mitter), Judo (with Dick Tashiro), Kajukenbo (with Brian Davies), Northwest Kenpo (with Asa Rainey), Northern Shaolin Kung-Fu (with David G. Scott), Modern Arnis (with Chris Mitter and Edgar Cordova), Ryu Kyu Kempo (with Chris Mitter), Shin Shin Jujitsu (with Chris Mitter and Larry G. Brooks), Taki Ryu Shin Shin Jujitsu (with Chris Mitter), Tai Chi, I have trained in numerous seminars with Leon Jay, George Dillman, Bill Burch, Remy Presas, Jeff Delaney, and I am currently training for UFC (Muay Thai, BJJ, and Submission Wrestling) at the Lions Den under Trevor Prangley and Derek Cleveland on top of teaching Jujitsu.

I have had the experience of being a Police Officer and using techniques, I have had the experience of many encounters outside of the dojo, I have been in combat, and I have competed in numerous events to understand the difference between "martial" and "art". I believe if you read the book "Living the Martial Way" you may understand what the differences between the variations and the way people practice today.

It shouldn't take a person to quote their entire past for people to understand them. I mean no offense to anyone when I say Aikido is a soft style art. It is what it is. Did that stop me from training in Aikido? No. Aikido has many techniques that could be transformed into a martial way. Of course by taking away the Aiki portion of the techniques, it is no longer Aikido.

Older people train in Chi Gung, Tai Chi, Aikido, etc. All softer style arts. Does this mean they are not effective? No. It just means they are more artsy than martial.

If Aikido was truly a harder style martial art you would see Special Forces and Navy Seals training in it. You would also see more UFC contenders trying to train in Aikido so they could be untouchable. The truth is when UFC first came into exhistence, people learned very quickly which arts dominated the ocatagon, and Aikido was not one of them. All of the Kaiten Nage training did not pay off in the end against a real shoot fighter.

People have started to look for Mixed Martial Arts, rather than a complete olden days style. Why? Because we now have a realistic form of competition that can display what each art can do against real attacks and real fighters.

Again, I try to offend no one. I am a straight shooter. I look at the obvious, not the "what ifs", and I obviously have some sort of love for Aikido or I would not have taken the techniques and added them to my requirements for my Jujitsu students. Every art has influenced my teaching, even if it was a soft art like Aikido.

I have chosen to change my path into trying to be a good fighter. After all, the original reason I joined martial arts was to become a great fighter and have great self defense. After my 20+ years experience, I have found that you can always find good things in any art, but you should never be afraid to adapt and change the things you learn. Change is what has made masters out of drones. Change is what makes martial arts evolve into what is most necessary for the times.

Devon Natario
Instructor
Northwest Jujitsu