Thread: Aikido injuries
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 02:31 PM   #44
"Special Appearance"
IP Hash: 43558932
Anonymous User
Re: Aikido injuries

Mr. F. Little,

I thank you for your input. I think that you said last goes without saying. Just as people will take the things they read, the way the want to, and not always as intended by the author. We need words and phrases to communicate to others a message. We hope the message we create will come across as intended, as accurately as possible. Any literate and reasonable educated person knows the many difficulties that can happen when dealing with words to communicate an idea. Trying to communicate any idea in a written language faces many difficulties both mechanically, and interpretively; the limitations of the language it's self to accurately get the message across the reader within rules and standards, to how the message is interpreted by the reader. The greatest variable is the reader. Therefore, I think we do the best we can and hope for the best that the reader interprets the message as we intended.

I don't think any one is making a diagnosis and if you concurred that from my writing, I must politely redirect you to read my thoughts again and discuss them with me for clarity and accuracy as deemed as feedback exchange. My thoughts are simply in support of the father and the father's original concerns. I would think those you understand Aikido would, like myself, agree that Aikido as an art supports the father as well, i.e. take serious the concerns of you parents; respect them. I don't see any danger in using the phrase filial piety or being supportive of the decision and concern of the father? I don't see that as domestic dispute. I can't be responsible for how each reader interprets the phrase or meaning it has to each individual.

The father was looking for information concerning a situation his daughter was in. The danger might be the use of filial piety to describe that Aikido, based on its heritage and foundation in Japanese society would support the idea the daughter take her father's concern seriously, if he confronted her with it. I don't think the father would ever want his daughter to choose the career as a prostitute over being a doctor. I don't think that is supported by Aikido either.

At any rate I am not really sure of your message and purpose for saying it. It may simply be a matter of being it is lost on me. That you see another layer and concern for the use of filial piety as defined by your remarks of straw and mud. It may simply being a case of you reading too much into it, and that may come from having too much experience. Because honestly, for me it was nothing more then the daughter who takes Aikido maybe more understanding of her father's concerns because of her training in Aikido then if she didn't because of the idea that both Western and the Japanese culture teach their kids to respect their parents, of course to different degrees and lengths. By know means, did I infer or say anything more then that with the tools of language at hand, hence the term filial piety. Said in the simplest correlation and connection.

Forgive me, but I can't see what the fuss is all about, or rather the concern that mud may come in contact per chance with straw if and when it rains.