View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 11:36 AM   #21
bogglefreak20
Dojo: Ki dojo
Slovenia
Re: Heh, heres a different situation for ya.

Quote:
Eric LeCarde wrote:
Thanks for all the replies, but there is a fair bit of assuming going on around here (which may be my fault, since I was vauge to begin with).

I have rare neurological disorder which, to sum things up, makes me hyper sensitive to contact. The most painful and shocking forms are ones where I'm being grabbed, things are rubbing against my body and the like.... the best way to describe it is that it feels as though you have burn wounds all over your body. Thats why I hate doing the throws which involve sliding your arms/body along the person and pushing them. The odd exception is that brief contact is not distubing at all (such as a tap or so, thats why I'm able to spar without any issues, this little part has kept doctors scratching thier heads), so I've been able to do martial arts which were no so hold-intesive.

If anyone has ever been around an autistic person, they have slightly more severe neuropathic disturbances then I do (they normally scream out when someone touches them).

thanks for all the suggestions and the like

The extra info you provided is crucial. Of the top of my head just a suggestion - visualisation techniques can make wonders with all kinds of disorders. In some neurological disorders the brain interprets the neural "messages" incorrectly. Sometimes the brain can be "tricked" into different kinds of perception. You say that your body doesn't react to taps and alike - that may be your window of opportunity that you can spread and widen by using visualisation techniques.

Hope you stay in Aikido for a long time. One way or the other. Best of luck to you!