Thread: The Sixth Sense
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 07:51 AM   #5
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Re: The Sixth Sense

When you are bowing to kamiza it is very easy to glance under your arm at the students!

I think reactions ability does increase, but to some extent you have to be primed. For example, if a friend from work leaps out at you it is more difficult to react quickly than when you are walking down a dark street and someone leaps out at you. i.e. in the 2nd scenario you are aware there may be some danger.

I think you can also read people's movements better due to getting used to it in training. Also, the focus tends to be broader with more training, with less attentiveness to little details and you can have a more relaxed state of mind, allowing you to cope with unusual situations better.

I definately think the reactions in threat situations are immensely improved with aikido (I think this is a major aspect of the training method). I also think you can read a real upcoming attack more easily (from the body language). However I don't know of any instances for myself or others where they have predicted what is going to happen like Ueshiba (e.g. golden bullets before a gun is fired etc).

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---