View Single Post
Old 11-09-2005, 08:37 AM   #36
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Aikido injuries

Quote:
James Davis, Jr. wrote:
Where did Daito ryu get its unarmed techniques from...?
From the sword that Sogaku Takeda Sensei studied. He was first and foremost a swordsman, and on the advice of a trusted counselor, decided to focus on the empty hand skills because of the changing times.

Snipping rather obvious discussion on riai...

Quote:
Now imagine the same movement, only instead of a sword you hold uke's wrist. With movement designed to kill, you've actually performed a throw...

Shiho Nage.
No arguement there, the techniques come from the sword.

Quote:
It may be BS to some, but I SEE this stuff when I perform technique. Let your imagination do its thing during solo practice. Perform the throws you know and imagine a sword, spear, or staff in your hand. Cool stuff.
The problem is, this is not what was originally suggested...it was mixed in with hyperbole about the techniques themselves, and some historical implications which don't stand up to scrutiny, specifically:

Quote:
O'sensei learned other stuff prior to Daito ryu aikijutsu, and I think that's what the poster was referring to.
My contention is that the 'other stuff' that Ueshiba studied is insignificant. The relationship between kenjustsu and aikido's empty hand waza comes from Daito ryu, and Sogaku Takeda and **his** sword experience...not from Ueshiba's earlier studies.

Quote:
Many of our empty handed techniques are derived from kenjutsu and yarijutsu movements.
Kenjutsu sure...specifically Ono ha Itto ryu in many cases (at least as far as Daito ryu is concerned).. In other cases, other classical ryu studied by Ueshiba's students were borrowed from. Yarijutsu? Do you mean sojutsu? (As far as I know, the term yarijutsu isn't really used that much...but I'm frankly not sure. Jun? any info on that?) There is a great deal of debate about that (specifically the Hozoin ryu connection, or lack there of). I suggest reading some of Meik Skoss's posts on fa.iaido. You'll get a much better frame of reference from that.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)