View Single Post
Old 10-31-2005, 01:30 PM   #53
"Special Appearance"
IP Hash: a5029d6e
Anonymous User
Re: aggresive and arrogant aikidoka

I think the original poster telling her story, though specific to her, does voice a problem that is just not an isolated one. This problem is recognized and discussed by others as a broader problem, here in this thread and in related threads. It is bullying, I don't think to discuss the topic we have to be gender, age specific, or person specific, do we?.

Bullying, a.k.a. aggressive and arrogant behavior happens in many dojos just not the one in Canada. It doesn't happen to just woman and it isn't done just by newbie students to other newbie students.

I am glad to see others have posted their own related stories relating to the situation of the original poster. The problem of bullying isn't a cookie cutter issue. Therefore, there are probably other people out there who are are in a very similar situation and need advice beyond the solution posted by the original poster.

Arrogance and aggressiveness is, in my IMO, is very much a standard of martial arts. Aikido being a martial art in part does attract those who have arrogant and aggressive personalities. Thankfully, Aikido practice over time, leads people to a more harmonious and peaceful path. Of course, there is no guarantee as people are people, where some get it and some don't.

I would think the intelligent discussion would become broader and more encompassing. Especially, when there is a sufficient amount (and repetitive) recommendations to solve the individual problem. I would think at that point the discussion would move on to a boarder scope. I hope the title of this thread really doesn't reflect the average Aikidoka.

I might be erring that I assume that Aikidoka are at top of the intellectual martial artists chain. I find more professionals, and more educated people in Aikido overall than the other arts I have come across, and other martial art style boards I have read. I hope, I have not assumed incorrectly. Regardless of the similar low brow patterns of cheapening the discussion of late that mirror other lesser boards, I can say many Aikidoka have demonstrated a higher standard. I hope we can continue the discussion at a higher standard, and not deteriorate this thread any further, for at least of those looking for answers, and needing to talk.