Thread: Uchi Deshi?
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2005, 08:55 AM   #6
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Re: Uchi Deshi?

Quote:
Ben Peacock wrote:
Since starting Aikido a few months ago I have noticed a growing immersion of myself in the art and its attendant thoughts. Along with that has come a pondering of the Uchi-Deshi 'system' that I've seen mentioned around. Can anyone tell me about this? I'm particularly interested in what's involved with being Uchi-Deshi in a modern dojo and what would be expected, both from the student and the teacher.

I've been growing increasingly restless in modern life and really want to just... get away and do something else. A career break I think they call it. Not yet, certainly (I'm far too new to Aikido at the moment), but as something to consider for the future. In the meantime I am very curious. Has anyone here done it? Are there any sites out there with information? What dojos take on Uchi-Deshi?

Thanks for your help!

Ben
On AikiWeb from the links portal Uchideshi Programs

One program in France and one in Switzerland is listed, most are in the US.

I think your best course of action would be to ask at the dojo where you're practicing now, to see if they have any recommendations.

You might want to think about traveling to enroll in a program. Most people pick Japan, since it gives credibility to the training. However that choice is yours.

More info on an uchideshi program can be found here. This is for Nippon Kan in the US. Gaku Homma has also written Aikido Sketch Diary : Dojo 365 Days which gives information on this uchideshi program.

Here is a web blog from an uchi-deshi in Southern California.

Good Luck in your training!

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You