View Single Post
Old 10-23-2005, 12:27 PM   #5
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Re: Article: What's in a Name?, Part 2 by Michael J. Hacker

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote:
Hello Don,

Well, I am not Mr Hacker, but here are a few supplementary tit-bits I have come across.
Thank you for taking time.

Quote:
All the monolingual dictionaries and the largest bilingual dictionary I have at home here give the primary meaning of l as four directions and specify these as east, west, south, north (note the unusual order). This is then generalized to include all sides. There are some interesting examples....
Yes, very interesting. All the more so over and against Saito taking the term literally:

Quote:
Perhaps this last use is most relevant to the aikido technique. On the other hand, I have been present when the late Saito Morihiro Sensei demonstrated shiho-nage literally in four directions. He stood over the cross-lines where four tatami met and carefully placed his uke directly forwards, directly, backwards, directly to his left and directly to his right. Apart from showing us what the term meant, he explained the importance of control, of placing uke where he wanted and not where uke wanted to go.

In the Budo volume the Founder uses the term Z roppou ( = six directions) to denote the basic kamae stance....Similarly with "happou ( = eight directions), though the primary meaning is given here as 'all directions' and there are one or two phrases, such as Happou te wo tsukusu ( = exhaust every possibility: leave no stone unturned) and Happou ni me wo kubaru ( = keep an eye on all quarters).
Much obliged.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/