View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 08:10 AM   #11
SeiserL

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan Dojo, Aikido World Alliance
United_States
Re: Kinesthetic Learning

IMHO, I support the learning representational systems as a useful consctruct. The internal mental map is constructed through sensory input. Our primary senses are visual, auditory, and kinesthetics. In the west, our primary teaching and learning mode is visual. I grew up as an auditory learning, meaning when the teacher said sound it out I did and tried to spell phonetic phonetically. Spelling is a visual skill. Musical improvisation is an auditory skill. Though we all have all representational systems, we tend to use one as our primary or lead system.

In neurolinguitic programing we learning to overlap or sequential link representation systems, leading one to the other. The auditory system is especially slow, takes a lot longer to describe catching the ball that to just catch it. Besides, the body doesn't necessarily learn well from lectures alone.

So, IMHO, a visual-kinesthetic link is useful, see-do. As you hold the visual map of the waa in mind, let you body feel the movement. When watching a demonstration you can see people watch the movement with their eyes and their body begins to have slight mimicing movement. This is similiar to the minimal neural fighting accomplished by strong visualization in mental rehearsal used in sport psychology. Slowly, with practice, you can begin to let go move of the visual map and bring your awareness to the body kinesthetics, feel it.

Generally just leading with the kinesthetic mode is slow learning. Its like driving around without a map or directions. Start with your most predominate lead represenational system, overlap or link it to the kinesthetic mode, and slowly bring you awareness from the map (let it fade) until all that is left is the feeling of the movement.

Hope that is helpful in some small way.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!