View Single Post
Old 10-18-2005, 01:14 PM   #4
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Kinesthetic Learning

Patrick Cassidy specifically designs his lessons around this 3 ways of learning Idea. When he teaches, he will talk you through the whole technique, then demonstrate it several times with out saying anything, then during class go around to everyone (class sizer permitting) and do the technique with everyone. I think it's a good method, and I use it in my classes.

However for my own personal training I focus on learning all 3 ways, and I believe it makes the learning process very fast, I have had several teachers comment to me on how fast I pick things up, and my method is very simple. I quit thinking about other things when I'm on the mat. I drop what ever petty crap is going on in the rest of my life. I quit thinking about who I'm better then and who's better then me on the mat. I quit thinking about what others think about me, and I devote as much of myself as I can muster to the teachings. Everyone thinks they do this, but I don't know how many times I've been teaching class and I directly tell a student "don't put your foot here, put it there" and the student says, "ok" and I say, "do you understand what I'm telling you, this is why your foot goes here" and they say "ok" then I'll put their foot there and say "like this" and they say "ok". As soon as I let them do it, they'll go right back to what they were doing before I told them what to do. At this point I realize this person isn't ready for this part of the lesson and I let it go, and hope they get it next time.

As far as kinesthetic learning goes, I think taking Ukemi is awesome. Feeling how a pin works on yourself makes all the difference in learning how to apply it. Also make sure you have a good internal understanding of yourself, if you know how you work then you'll get the idea of how others work. It might sound dumb to say "get to know how you work" but stuff that I take for granted, others seem to have a hard time with. I once told a student to turn the elbow the opposite of how it works, and she didn't' know, I had to show her how the elbow doesn't work, and then show her on herself how that feels. I think you should spend lots of time rolling on the ground like a kid, grabbing your feet, and seeing how far you can pull them, and how far your arms reach, etc. etc.

Hope some of this helped.

-Chris Hein