View Single Post
Old 10-18-2005, 12:21 PM   #3
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Re: Kinesthetic Learning

I disagree with the fundamental idea that there are separate means of learning. The categories that you've mentioned are artificial constructs that are in reality parts of the the whole learning system. I think that what's important is to not have conflicting information between what is seen and the resulting lasting image or picture and what is heard from some form of descriptive analysis of mechanics and movement and what's experienced by feeling. All of this experiential information must be congruent and at some point our actualization of this comes together in a way that goes from unconscious incompetence to conscious incompetence to conscious competence and finally evolves into unconscious competence. Then, at some point, it becomes both conscious and unconscious mastery at higher and higher levels.

The Japanese traditional shu, ha, ri fits this model as well as the most often used method of training "mind/body" movement known as Gestalt learning theory, or "whole, part, whole" training.

I'm most likely bungling this by trying to keep it as short and concise as possible. There's lots more that can be said about this important topic, and should be by people that know way more about it than I do.

Best regards,

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org