View Single Post
Old 10-18-2005, 11:32 AM   #1
akiy

Kinesthetic Learning

Hi folks,

So, the subject of learning kinesthetically has been on my mind recently. To be specific, I've been thinking of how people can learn to be kinesthetic learners -- learning how to learn through the body, essentially.

As an introduction, some people say that there are basically three kinds of learning modes: visual (images), auditory (verbal), and kinesthetic (body). That's a pared down model, for sure, but it gives me something to think about. I think everyone is a mixture of these three with, usually, one of them being more dominant than the other two. Aikido, though, to me, is intrisically a kinesthetic art; without the ability to feel your partner's body and, more importantly in my mind, feel your own body, I think progression in the art is very difficult.

For those of you who were/are not kinesthetic learners, what helped you in gaining skills for that mode of learning? What hindered you?

For those of you who have taught people who were/are not kinesthetic learners, what helped them in gaining skills for that mode of learning? What hindered them?

Philosophy, exercises, approaches, and any other experience in this matter that people can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!