View Single Post
Old 10-18-2005, 12:34 AM   #5
Patrick Crane
Dojo: Dojo Chattanooga
United_States
Re: Poll: How important is actively applying the "principles" of aikido "off the mat" in your everyday life?

Perhaps the intent of this poll was to inquire more along the lines of people's attitudes, relationships, etc.
Just for a second, let me get ultra-practical.
A large part of my job involves loading and unloading carts full of hospital linen from the trailer of an 18-wheeler, either at a hospital or at the plant where we wash the stuff.
These carts are a good six inches taller than me, wider than me and, on average, a good hundred pounds heavier than me (300-400 lbs.) despite my "football player" type build.

I've been wrestling with these things going on five years now and only been studying aikido since July, but already have noticed how much easier it is for me to man-handle them using just a couple basic aikido concepts, and how much less joint and muscle soreness I experience.
I've even had compliments from some of the housekeeping staff at some of the hospitals regarding how gracefully I seem to fling those grizzly bears around.

..........now If I could just learn to roll right and do nikyo, I'd have it made, lol.