View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 04:56 PM   #99
Adam Huss

United_States
Re: Steven Seagal and Aikido, your thoughts

Seagal, or Take Sensei as his students know him, tested to (i think) sandan. The rest of his rank is meio (meyo?), honorary, given to him for his contribution in spreading aikido (which is a legitimate reason for recieving meio ranking). He is from MIchigan (I think Lansing, not sure), and was promoted to shodan by Fumio Toyoda Sensei (a fact I found really interesting). THe correct pronunciation of his name is Seegel, as he is of Jewish origin (don't know how closely that relates to him, the religion I mean). He has a few children that he doesn't give (gave, they may be over 18 by now) child support to, and he used to practice the facial expression on the cover of Above the Law for hours on his bedroom mirror. I've never trained with Seagal Sensei, but from what I see on Path Beyond Thought and the Aiki Expo demo that his technique looks pretty dynamic. I don't know what he's doing with training now, but from his ealier days (in Japan) it looks like they trained pretty hard (which I like), and its pretty bragable to be a gaijin and open a dojo in Japan (although he kind of had a hookup with that). I like his older movies, but the newer ones have been kinda hard to sit though although I still try to see each one (at my old dojo we threatened to demote a guy for not liking Seagal movies!).

Last edited by Adam Huss : 10-13-2005 at 04:58 PM.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!