View Single Post
Old 10-10-2005, 08:31 AM   #10
jss
Netherlands
Re: Poll: How important a goal do you feel is the "aikido" notion of defending yours

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote:
I think the goal is critically important. Does this mean the goal will always be actualized? No, but to do Aikido as I understand it, the intent must be there, otherwise you're doing a form of aikijujutsu.
I hope there are more important things to differentiate aikido from aikijujutsu.

Quote:
So you don't think it's practical, say, to go up against a drunkard who is well out of his right mind and not hurt the person?
You're right you shouldn't hurt the drunkard, but to me that's a self defence notion of acting in accordance with the situation (this is not something special to aikido). When I read "aikido notion of minimizing/negating damage", I see people having trouble with the martial aspects of aikido, living in a fairy tale land where you can convert an attacker to peace by executing aikido.

Quote:
Against people of roughly equal abilities or when the odds are stacked against you I don't think it's very likely to be able to negate damage to your attacker, but if possible I think ought try (have the goal).
If you try, wouldn't you risk failing and getting injured?
I have trouble believing it is possible to make a decision -any decision- in such situations.