View Single Post
Old 09-25-2005, 12:49 PM   #13
Carol Shifflett
United_States
Re: Rolls, Dizziness and Nausea

Quote:
Linda Hill wrote:
My husband and I began regular aikido training this year at the age of 51, with two and then three classes a week. We are challenged with beginners' problems exacerbated by age, such as stiff joints and lack of flexibility. We know we'll get over those. However, we are concerned about dizziness and nausea we're getting from doing forward and backward rolls . . . With three months of limited ukemi experience, I still get dizzy enough after one or two forward rolls that I can barely stand.
Hello Linda,
Are either of you old enough to be wearing bifocals? Young enough to be doing word processing or computer time or watching TV on the floor with head propped in hands?

There are several muscles that cause severe dizziness and proprioceptive problems. Primary offender is the sternocleidomastoid muscle, followed by trapezius and suboccipitals. Over the years I've noticed that students who had remarkable problems with dizziness also had remarkably hard (as in rock-hard) SCMs. If you ever suffer from "sinus" pain, top of the head pain, or odd vision problems or ringing in the ears, or problems swallowing -- well, those can be related. IF SCM is the root cause, you can fix it in minutes.

See my website at www.round-earth.com. Scroll down to "Pain and Injury" and click on headache. That will take you to a page which shows pain patterns for SCM, trapezius, and suboccipitals. The link will take you to the SCM page with illustrated information for treatment.

SCM is followed by trapezius which is the Number One muscle to develop trigger points in both children and adults. And it forms a feedback loop with SCM and causes nausea.

The suboccipitals tend to be strained in anyone who consistently holds head with chin tilted upward. This is a constant problem with those who wear bi- or tri-focals, a side-effect in TV-watching children. This area of the neck is loaded with proprioceptors, every bit as critical as the vestibular equipment of the inner ear. If you temporarily anaesthetize the suboccipitals in monkeys, they'll fall right over. We humans manage to do that to ourselves by doing silly things to our necks on purpose. I doubt that suboccipitals are the precipitating factor for dizziness -- however, they can certainly contribute, especially if you have tight hamstrings . . . . but that's another story.

Cheers!
Carol Shifflett