View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 11:40 PM   #10
dyffcult
Dojo: Aikido Institute of Oakland
United_States
Re: Rolls, Dizziness and Nausea

When I first started aikido, I had probably done only 20 forward somersaults in my entire life. They never felt natural and they always made me want to throw up. I had never done a backwards somersault.

When I first started aikido, I had a hell of a time learning to do rolls...backward more so than forward. But I perservered. However, forward rolls and backward rolls quickly nauseated me and left me dizzy for a few moments after each one. I practiced every day, six days a week and practiced ukemi at home before practice....for three months. Unfortunately, this sensation never left me. More than two rolls in quick succession in either direction and I was dizzy and nauseous.

Fastforward fifteen years after a ten year absence. Now a single forward or backward roll leaves me dizzy. More than two in quick succession leaves me ready to heave on the mat. At forty years of age, I wonder if I can ever practice enough to make this "easy."

Yes, I am hydrated. No, I don't eat right before class. Yes, I breath out. Yes, I focus on an object to avoid the dizziness. Yes, I do everything my sempai tell me to do to avoid these sensations. Nothing seems to work.

I have come to the conclusion that my body simply does not like forward or backward rolls and therefore I do not take them from a technique unless I absolutely have to. Otherwise, my ukemi is great.

Throw me as hard as you like. I will hit the matt gleefully. Slap my arm and hand to absorb the impact. And get up to take your next technique. To the best of my knowledge, there are only a few aikido techniques that require uke to roll out of the technique. Those that do, I do. Those that don't, I don't.

My body and mind simply weren't designed to go head over heels. Just my two cents.

Brenda