View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 10:00 PM   #305
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Aikido does not work at all in a fight.

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
lots of assumptions and concepts floating around about "street fighting". ... What is street fighting? I am really curious to see what parameters, paradigms, and assumptions that everyone has about what street fighitng is all about, and what/when do you see yourself involved in them?

I find it interesting that aikido people spend a great deal of time trying to "let go" of assumptions/presumptions that are formed in their mind when trying to "do" or react to an attacker (establishing mushin)...but you mention the words "STREET FIGHT" and everything goes out the window!
I like your approach here. Regardless of whether or not some people are tired of this thread yet feel compelled to remind us of this fact, and regardless of what conceptions people may have about one art or another, the core of this issue is valid...in my opinion at least. We ought consider everything we can. One person's assumptions about any given thing are perhaps merely an opportunity to consider something new or even consider something old as if it were new. All that said:
I think "street fighting" is simply no-rules fighting. I think when people think of it as simply as that and try to prepare accordingly (for anything, in other words) then, well, that's as good as it gets. I grew up with friends who's idea of a good time was fighting. Some were simply good at placing one good punch while taking a beating, and some were more tricky...yet others were best when their friends weren't far behind. I've known people to get stabbed and shot and so from this I know pretty much anything can happen. In short, a street fight is dangerous to everyone near by it and sometimes far away, whether by space or time when you consider that some people remember faces very well or will try and pay back one person for the actions of another. With this in mind, we as martial artists ought seek as complete a perspective as possible and try to work on our ability to coordinate as potent and flexible a response as we can possibly muster. Each step in this path is less important than the next one. I'm not speaking of technique and basics here, but saying that it doesn't matter what art you study so long as you continually try to improve and learn/refine yourself, mind body and spirit...or whatever one may happen to view as the ultimate truth of reality. All we can do is our best with what we have at our disposal and this goes for our perspective, the experiences it comes from and our physical and mental tools we use to interact with the world around us.
Ganbatte!
Matt

Gambarimashyo!