View Single Post
Old 09-16-2005, 12:07 AM   #51
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Re: Omoto-kyo Theology

Many times when we run into difficulties, we take a look around and see what others have done in our place. When we study Aikido, problems arise and it is natural to be curious about the founder and see how he overcame his problems.

However this is a budo. It is not about the theoretical concept of the martial art. It is about the martial artist. It is about the practitioner, not the art. A person is real, an art is an abstraction.

The solution of problems are not in the history of the art. It is in the practice of that art. The martial artist is not only the problem but also the key to the solution. It is through training that the solution can be found.

Knowing the history of the art and understanding the viewpoint of the founder is a valuable aid. Yet I've read too many Aikido Spin Doctors who would use their interpretation of the facts, to misinform you into a false position. Their history of Aikido follows their own agenda. I'm not writing about anyone who has posted here BTW.

O Sensei was a Shinto mystic. One of the properties of a mystic is that they cannot be entirely captured in words. If you have a definition of a mystic which completely describes them and categorizes them in their proper niche, then you know you're wrong. This applies to people like Black Elk, Bankei, Meister Eckhart or O Sensei. For those of you who would like to try, I wish you "Good Luck".

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You