View Single Post
Old 09-05-2005, 11:17 PM   #3
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Industrial Society Destroys Mind and Env

Quote:
Sushil Yadav wrote:
Subject : In a fast society slow emotions become extinct.
Subject : A thinking mind cannot feel.
Subject : Scientific/ Industrial/ Financial thinking destroys the planet.
Subject : Environment can never be saved as long as cities exist.
Emotion is what we experience during gaps in our thinking.
If there are no gaps there is no emotion.
Today people are thinking all the time and are mistaking thought (words/ language) for emotion.
When society switches-over from physical work (agriculture) to mental work (scientific/ industrial/ financial/ fast visuals/ fast words ) the speed of thinking keeps on accelerating and the gaps between thinking go on decreasing.
Man becomes machine.
A society that speeds up mentally experiences every mental slowing-down as Depression / Anxiety.
A ( travelling )society that speeds up physically experiences every physical slowing-down as Depression / Anxiety.
A society that entertains itself daily experiences every non-entertaining moment as Depression / Anxiety
Hmmm...I'd like to only address these assertions. I think much of this is the product of assumption...and I'm sure you would agree comes from a lack of thought, being that it seems you're arguing against intensive thought.
It is assumptive to assume emotions will become extinct in a highly active (fast) society. It is our pronounced logical ability which provides us the ability to refine our behavior and emotional responses. Attaching thought to feeling is not killing emotion, though I'd say it does complicate it. The trick is balance. If your mind moves uncontrolably quick, the insights haven't any time to sink in and find meaning, but if you slow them down too much, you develop tunnel vision and miss out on the correlating connections which indeed are a more holistic representation of the truth.
A thinking person not only feels, but begins to understand how what it feels relates to the world around it, resulting in growth/evolution of the being/interaction. The problem described in this article arises when people place too much emphasis on thinking and not enough on feeling. Both are quantifiably pertinent to human existence as evinced by the fact that we have two halves of a brain which operate more or less as two distinct brains, but which, when operating together, create a more holistic image of the surrounding environment, much like how two eyes creates a holographical image. To forsake one in favor of the other is to half-blind yourself to the reality around you.
The idea that scientific thinking in and of itself destroys the planet is devoid of virtue. Beavers destroy ecosystems by changing them, just as do cities and the like. The difference between humans and beavers is that humans have aquired more power through our ability to reason (AKA-science) and act in concert with each other. Few if any other animals work together as well as humans do. We're like a child who has learned how to cook with fire but hasn't yet learned about wild-fires...which both destroy and promote life, by the way. Like in all other things, there is capacity for good and bad. Balance is the key. With great power comes great responsibility and a greater need for reason. Feeling and reason, when seperated from each other, are ruthless and cold.
Agriculture came about through insight/science, not through some inate nature. One or several people discovered the security that comes in tending an edible plant and others learned by witnessing it or being told about it. The same is true of chimps in Africa who eat nuts by harvesting them and smashing them open with rocks. Other tribes who do not have the means to learn this trick do not practice this primitive form of agriculture. Again, the problem in humanity can be found in the disproportionate value placed on money and what that money actually represents. Industry, when used wisely, lessens disease and hunger and allows the meak a greater chance at surviving...granted this article might view that as detrimental.
And, finally, I know about depression and anxiety and its stemming from periods of extream sensation followed by periods of an extream lack of sensation. Another name for this concept is "tolerance." As a guitar player, one hand's finger-tips have callouses, making it harder to feel soft touches so I work on sensitivity exercises to counter-balance that effect. Looking at this another way, one set of finger-tips can withstand greater stress without being damaged. To some this might seem a duality, but to me it appears as two singularities along the same continuum. At either end of this continuum lies a sort of chaos, but somewhere in the middle lies a beautiful harmony. This applies to activity as well. Calm the mind, sure, but don't make it so calm it ceases to breathe altogether. In Aikido we learn lively relaxation. A state of being ready to act with all your available efforts in any direction, but which is serene and calm.
Take care,
Matthew

Gambarimashyo!