Thread: Aikido Journal
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2005, 03:38 PM   #19
Misogi-no-Gyo
Re: Lightning Bolt, Steven Seagal and Aikido

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote:
I've certainly questioned various sections of their take on Aikido's history on the AJ boards - never had a problem though...
Questions do not necessarily indicate problems, but they do not exclude them either. You may feel more or less strongly with regards to what to do about it, but you have some questions, nonetheless.
Quote:
Christopher Li wrote:
Hmm, I'd like Sony to operate as a not-for-profit organization, but I doubt that they'll listen to me . OTOH, there's nothing to stop you from starting up your own not-for-profit organization devoted to researching and publishing Aikido history.
Two separate issues. Your first comment you obviously find sillya and not realistic. It also does not relate to the specifics of the thread. However, in an attempt to address your comment I will say that Sony is a public company, actually owned by a loose consortium of its shareholders. This means that there is oversight, accountability and transparency; along with outside organizations that will prosecute should there be any provable improprieties. With regards to your second comment, I already have started a non-profit to which I contribute quite a bit of time, get paid no salary and donated large sums of money compared to my salary. However, my goal is not to publish anything, per se, but rather give people an opportunity to experience Aikido and other Asian cultural pursuits who might not otherwise be able to do so. However, even if I, or anyone else did decide to take you up on your offer, that would not amend what I see is the issue with a large amount of materials that should be made part of the Aikido communities heritage being owned by one group with their own particular agenda.
Quote:
Christopher Li wrote:
So, you would prefer that someone (not yourself) lay out the money for producing and distributing the videos, but that you should be free to copy them as you please?
Chris, I never said that, or anything that could be construed as such. As I have said before, if you have something to say to me, feel free to do so, publicly or in private. To address the issue though, non-profits have ways to cover production expenses, salaries, overhead, etc. Believe you me, should Aikido Journal voluntarily choose to move to a non-profit model, I would be one of the first to volunteer my time and donate my money. When they requested individuals to transpose the old PDF files into text files, I not only volunteered to do so, but with the ones that were Interviews with Seiseki Abe Sensei, I offered to go back an revisit them with him to do follow ups. Yeah, that would have been in Japan, and at my own expense.
Quote:
Christopher Li wrote:
If you feel that way than why aren't you producing and packaging Aikido images and videos out of your own pocket and distributing them under an open-source license?
Again, I never said that this is the way I see to rectify the problem over at Aikido Journal. However, addressing the issue, what might I have that anyone would really want to see, free or otherwise?
Quote:
Christopher Li wrote:
Morihei Ueshiba participated in quite a few for-profit ventures. Books and film distributed by the founder were sold for-profit while he was alive. In fact, he made a pretty good living off of Aikido. Good enough for kaiso, but not for anybody else?
Of course anyone should be able to "sell themselves" towards whatever gain or goal that they see fit. But this is not really what is going on, is it? After all, the Founder didn't exactly give his permission for anyone to sell 29 minute videos of himself for $49.95, did he? WELL DID HE? Even so, that doesn't mean that a museum who housed the archived materials wouldn't do the same thing. As a matter of fact, I am sure that they would. However, they would use the money to create multimedia displays that one could go and see for themselves for a small donation in a place that would be the metaphoric Mecca of Aikido. Perhaps it would take someone outside of Japan to create something so powerful that it would encourage the Ueshiba Family and the Aikikai to open up their own archives of long-hidden or questionable material to the public. I think it would do much to create a more human image of the Founder and let people do their own research with all of the facts instead of only the ones they want us to know.

In closing and in an effort to raise the level of the thread, I think it important that we don't fall victim to any emotions that may arise when we discuss issues of hidden agendas. Also, that we don't shift the focus merely to who is right and who is wrong. This will help ensure that we may have a straight forward discussion of this very important issue. The future of Aikido is at stake, whether we believe it or not.