View Single Post
Old 09-01-2005, 08:27 AM   #15
Hanna B
Sweden
Dedication

Just to add more fuel to the fire

Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote:
This "going through the motions" is different, however, from taking the philosophies and spirit of Aikido into other parts of life, to be beneficial to oneself and to others.
Not everyone believes that taking the philosophies and spirit of Aikido into other parts of life, to be beneficial to oneself and to others is a necessary part of aikido, needed for your aikido to be complete. I might be misunderstanding what the expression "going through the motions" means (English is not my first language) but If your commitment is to the movements of aikido with attention to your body and to your partner's, then IMO you are committed to aikido. If you are in your dojo neglecting your partner, then we can start questioning if you are actually there or not. On the other hand, as Jeanne and Anne Marie have pointed out everyone has bad or stressful stretches in their lives (which we handle in different ways) and everyone have bad days even on the tatami.

I have seen some people who train an enormous amount of classes, sometime even three classes in a row but actually are not really present. The train kind of lazily - I guess that is the only way to survive three class in a row as a standard protocol. From the usual training dose-measuring perspective, they are very dedicated students. From my point of view... well, I question the value of this and think that two classes really being there is at least equally valuable to five classes done with half attention.